The Grand Canyon, one of the most fascinating and intriguing natural wonders of the world has always attracted tourists from the farthest corners of the world. The raging waters, treacherous ravines, gargantuan cliffs and an enviable flora and fauna of the exquisite wilderness make the Grand Canyon one of the most sought out natural wonders. And it is not only the Grand Canyon white water rafting that attracts tourists to this magnificent natural wonder. The Grand Canyon region offers a host of activities for every tourist. Apart from a thrilling Colorado River rafting experience, when in the Grand Canyon, you can indulge in activities such as trekking, walking, bird watching, cycling, photo shoots, camping, hiking, visiting the museums and simply marveling the scenic beauty that the region possesses.
So you think you know the Grand Canyon? Here are some interesting facts about the Grand Canyon that will make your trip even more remarkable –
- Scientific research suggests that Grand Canyon took around 3-6 million years to formed.
- It was carved owing to the erosion caused by the Colorado River.
- The Grand Canyon was discovered by Garcia Lopez de Cárdenas in 1540.
- There are around 90 species of mammals, 250–300 species of birds, and 25 species of reptiles that live in the Grand Canyon.
- As the North Rim is higher in elevation than the South Rim, the climate there is cooler. Owing to the unpredictability of the climate and possibility of snowfall, the North Rim is open to tourists only during the early fall, late spring and summers.
- An estimated 5 million people visit the Grand Canyon National Park annually.
- For Pueblo Indians, the Grand Canyon is a holy site with various spiritual connotations.
- The Grand Canyon is the second deepest canyon in the world, the first being Yarlung Tsangpo Grand Canyon in Tibet. The Grand Canyon’s average depth is approximately 1 mile.
- The Grand Canyon floor contains fossil footprints of more than 20 species of amphibians and reptiles. Even though, no fossilized reptile teeth or bones have yet been uncovered.
- The Grand Canyon has remained a popular movie shooting location with famous movies such as Into the Wild, Transformers, The Thief of Baghdad and Due Date, among others, shot here.
The Grand Canyon is a perfect place for a fun-filled vacation. Select the best Grand Canyon tours provider and immerse yourself in the magnificence of this mystifying natural paradise.